In 1959, the credit union was chartered to serve the employees of Western Electric in Allentown, Pa. Back then, we were called WeAllen Federal Credit Union. Services included loans up to $200 and basic savings accounts. The office was located in the basement of the Western Electric building on Union Boulevard and had very limited hours of operation.
In the 1980’s, we greatly expanded our product and service offerings and opened membership up to the employees of other companies in the Lehigh Valley. As we grew, so did the number of our locations. During the 1980’s, we built our own headquarters on Union Boulevard in Allentown. In the 1990's we changed our name to First Commonwealth to better represent our diverse membership and opened our Fogelsville and Bethlehem offices.
As partnership opportunities presented themselves, First Commonwealth added locations in Easton, Lehighton, Kutztown and Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Over the years, First Commonwealth has partnered with several smaller credit unions in the area, including: